Rudy Giuliani’s Six Principles of Leadership
Rudy Giuliani was the keynote speaker at today’s session of the 9th Annual Needham Growth Conference. While he refrained from announcing his candidacy for President, he certainly didn’t hold back from reminding everyone what his broad political beliefs are. Whatever you think of Rudy Giuliani and his political opinions, few question his abilities as a leader, especially his efforts in the aftermath of September 11. I thought the self-proclaimed “Principles of leadership” he talked about today were all dead-on.
- Have a vision – great leaders all have a strong vision of their own
- Be an optimist – people won’t follow negative thinkers
- Have courage/Take risks – great leaders aren’t conservative
- Relentlessly prepare – plan ahead, know the path, study the contingencies
- Work with a team – no one is the best at everything, surround yourself with people who compliment your strengths
- Communicate – make sure everyone knows where you’re going, why you’re going there and how you’re going to get there