Super Bowl Thoughts . . .
A friend of mine asked me today, “how many teams have won the Super Bowl?” It’s an interesting question that led me to plenty more. So here’s that info, plus a couple of other tidbits that’ll help you stump your friends and win some bets at your Super Bowl XLI get together this weekend.
- 17 different teams have won the super bowl:
|Raiders||3||2 in Oakland, 1 in LA|
|Rams||1||in St. Louis|
- The NFC has won 22/40 Super Bowls
- The AFC has won 5 of the last 7 Super Bowls
- Prior to that, the NFC had won 13 straight Super Bowls
- Buffalo lost 4 Super Bowls in a Row – 1991-1994 and have never won a Super Bowl nor appeared in any other
- No team has won 3 consecutive Super Bowls, but back-to-back wins have taken place 8 times by 7 teams: 49ers, Cowboys, Broncos, Dolphins, Packers, Patriots and Steelers (twice)
- The biggest blowout in Super Bowl history was in 1990 when the 49ers beat the Broncos by 45 points – 55-10
- The Cowboys have the most appearances in the Super Bowl with 8; the Steelers have been to 6; the Broncos, Dolphins, Patriots, Raiders and Redskins each have appeared in the big game 5 times and the Bills and Packers to 4. These 9 teams have consumed 47 of the 80 slots in the Super Bowl in its first 40 years.